I didn't read many books this year compared with the years since I started keeping track of what I read.
Here's how the stats break down:
• I read 44 [wince] books total.
• 11 books (25%) were written by people I know.
• 5 books (14%) had something to do with Turkey.
• 13 books (30%) were first books (to my knowledge).
• 7 books (16%) were recommended by friends.
• 4 books (9%) were self-published.
• 10 books (23%)were published by micro- and small presses.
• 31 books were fiction (70%).
• 13 books were nonfiction (30%).
• Of the 31 fiction books,
—20 were fantasy, of which 7 were short story collections.
—5 were romances
—2 were classics
—1 was a mystery
—1 was a Western
—1 was literary fiction
—1 was suspense
• Of the 13 nonfiction books,
—4 were on Oriental rugs
—2 were self-help
—2 were on writing
—1 was a memoir
—1 was on Ottoman music
—1 was on "hobbits" (Homo floresiensis)
• I read 5 books (11%) on Kindle and the rest on paper.
I hope your reading year turned out more prolific than mine. I always hear that to be a writer, one must read, read, read. And I would like to read, read, read because it's one of my favorite things to do. But where to find the time without getting even more unhealthily sleep deprived than I already am?
How was 2010 for your reading? And do you have any advice for carving out time from writing and chores for pleasure and work-related reading?