Award-winning author
Unusual times, remarkable places

The "Standard of Ur" from ancient Mesopotamia

The "Standard of Ur" from ancient Mesopotamia

25 July 2007

Tribute to Peter Banks, mentor and friend


Just last year, writer, editor, and publisher Peter Banks (1955–2007) seemed at the top of his career. Not only did he found Banks Publishing, a publications consulting and services firm, but Folio Magazine also honored him as one of the 40 most influential people in magazine publishing.

Today, people gathered in Virginia at his memorial service. He died Saturday, peacefully and in no pain.

Peter spent most of his career at the American Diabetes Association (ADA), but I first met him when we both worked at The Journal of NIH Research, a start-up magazine targeted at biomedical researchers. He was the production manager; I came on as 1/2 production assistant, 1/2 writer. This was in the good old days when production was like kindergarten—you cut up copy and photocopies of photos and artwork and pasted them down on layout sheets with wax. We got to be friends as we sat side by side, laying out pages, with him instructing me in the essentials of good page design. He also helped teach me how to write a magazine article. (I got hired as a writer at JNIHR because I could get up to speed quickly on complex biomedical instrumentation and techniques, but my most complex published writing before then was cookbook reviews for the Iowa City New Pioneer Co-op Newsletter. Obviously, I had a lot to learn.)

When Peter left JNIHR to become head of publications for ADA and I left to become a freelance writer, he often directed work my way. Because of him, I copyedited for the medical journal Diabetes Care for a while, was the editor/writer/layout artist for The Diabetes Advisor newsletter during its six-year existence, and wrote for ADA a variety of patient education pamphlets and booklets, advertorials, a book, and many articles in the patient magazine Diabetes Forecast. He became busier and busier at ADA, particularly after he became publisher, but continued to help me out.

I still keep by my desk a fax he sent me on November 23, 1993. I was, shall we say, not the most skilled or talented person at titling my articles. Peter talked to me about it a few times, but when my titles continued to be boring, he faxed me a list called “Ten Simple Steps To Catchy Coverlines Now!” Fourteen years later, I still use that list to help me come up with titles. (I’ll post that list another week for your enjoyment and use.)

Even after he became sick this spring, he remained a teacher to others through his thoughtful and often humorous blog about having cancer at the CaringBridge site. If you have the time, it’s worth a trip there to read it.

Farewell, Peter, and thank you. My medical writing career would not have been nearly as successful without your help.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

I read a number of Peter's blog entries when I first found you and even through that tiny connection, I felt a sense of loss when I realized your tribute was to the same man and tonight I went back to read the rest of them. What a lovely tribute you've written.

Charles Gramlich said...

I'll check out his blog. I'm sorry to hear about this. Sounds like a great guy and one who was on the verge of even greater success. I'm sorry for your loss as well. Good friends are not easy to find.

Farrah Rochon said...

It sounds like Peter was a wonderful mentor, Shauna. Your tribute to him was lovely.

cs harris said...

I read his blog, Shauna. What a shock, since he seemed to think he was doing well. Also frightening, since he was doubtless aware enough to take good care of himself, yet still he fell victim to our modern plague.

Shauna Roberts said...

Thank you, LISA, CHARLES, FARRAH, and CANDICE, for taking the time to visit Peter's blog.

His personality and intelligence really come through in his entries. His honesty and struggle to be brave in the face of the ups and downs the cancer put him through always inspired me. He set a good example of how to face one's end.

Unfortunately, his story also sounds a warning to enjoy what life has to offer now, because no one knows what lies ahead (which ties his blog entries back to the tavernkeeper's advice in Gilgamesh that I discussed a few posts back—some lessons humanity has to learn over and over).

Sphinx Ink said...

What a lovely tribute, Shauna. You were lucky to have him as a mentor, and he was fortunate to have you as a mentee.

Anonymous said...

A very nice tribute to a really fine man, Shauna. You said it all so very well.

May he rest in peace.

Andrew

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Shauna Roberts said...

Thanks for stopping by, BEULAH.